Thursday, March 17, 2011

Things I Never Did In Our Apartment

After four years, nine months, and five days of leasing an apartment, there were a few things that I spent that time thinking I could only do in a house (or I flat-out did not want to do in our apartment). Here is the list:

Clean my kitchen on a regular basis. I know, that sounds horrible being the wife of a chef. You have to understand though, the kitchen in my apartment was five square feet, with two of those being counter top and one of that being a sink (or so it seemed, it wasn't really THAT small but it was small, don't get me wrong!). At that point, it seemed like anything (even one thing) on the counter, clean or not, kitchen thing or not, made it seem cluttered and uncleaned and it also seemed that because the place was so small nothing had a real home, it only had a place that something else (that was dirty or being used) lived in...space sharing...ich! My kitchen here is tidied up every day!

Entertaining. Maybe this is an obvious one but one nonetheless. We did have people over, on occasion, mostly they were single friends that also lived in an apartment that understood such space constraints. In the past week I or we have had people over on three different days! Shocker! The Ram's actually entertain! We had Bible Study here. We've had Mario dates here. I've had people here for coffee... The list goes on! (If you want to be invited, feel free to invite yourselves...we LOVE entertaining).

Exchange Students. Yep! You've heard right...we're hoping to host an exchange student(s).

Cooking Meals and Baking. Again, that sounds bad being the wife of a chef but really it was either what was right in front of me, a frozen meal of some sort or something special that I would cook for. Space was just NOT conducive to knowing what was in my apartment, stocking basic ingredients (or more than three) and I now have a cupboard all for baking stuff! (How amazing is that???). By the way, when we moved I found things I didn't know I had: 4 full bottles of ketchup, 1 whole bag of rice, five jars of peanut butter at various stages of being empty (two that were empty and one that was full, one of the other ones was crunchy where as the other four were smooth). This is probably why I had so much space problems.

Eating at a table. We didn't really have space for a table or patience to set up and clean up a table so we at at a coffee table in the living room in front of the TV... We also do 'family' devotions on a somewhat regular basis.

For pictures of my new place, check out my Facebook page because they take too long to upload here and blogspot does not make it easy to caption it. If there is a lot uproar about this decision I will add them here. Just let me know! I do have more pictures than what I posted on FB but they are boxes and other things that not many people really care about...again if there are things you want to see/want to see more in general, or want them posted here, just let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, I used to keep things organized when we first moved into the house..once the "NEW HOUSE" feelings went away and it became "OUR HOUSE" the organized fell by the wayside. I hope you can keep up the organized home!

    Few things that we do now in the house but couldn't when we were in an apt are:
    - Vacuum the house at midnight if so desired (aka.. company coming over early the next day)
    - Plant a garden
    - Semi regularly decorate the outside of the house for Christmas
    - Go swimming regularly (helps when you have a pool right out your back door)
    - Have family & friends spend the night in an actual bedroom.. not just on the LR couch!
    - remodel/paint/decorate the various rooms in the house and actually invest some money into them.. not just what you can find cheap.
    The list goes on but i will stop there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did container gardens one year, I generally decorated for christmas, we had neighbors that could have vacuumed their apartment at midnight and it would have been quieter than what they were actually doing, but yeah, I agree, these things will now be easier/nicer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete