Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Flashbacks

So I had this lotion in Fiji - Winter Candied Apple. Ridiculous, I know, seeing as there is no winter in Fiji, Christmas doesn't have the same scents, and Don doesn't even like apples. I had a little left in the bottle when I left Fiji so I gave it to Don so that he could remember me. Sappy I know, but he later told me that he would open the bottle just to remember me.

So when I came back to the US, I went to Bath and Body works and replaced the bottle that I'd left in Fiji. Well, I haven't been as faithful in using it and now, three and a half years later, the bottle still has two-thirds left in it. I probably use it once a week...maybe.

But those nights that I do...Oh my gosh, I close my eyes, put my hands up to my nose and do you know what I see in my mind?

Palm trees
Don's house
I hear ocean waves
I smell salty air
I think of pineapples and curry
I see winding streets through town
I see my car, my little brown Toyota Starlet
I'm watching Shortland Street and the Fiji One news
I see Gospel High School
I remember the joy at Safari
I think of Selai
I think about downtown: the bus station, Village 6, McDonalds, JJ's, Sakuna Park, Victoria Parade, Sogo, the Canal, Tapoos, I could go on...
I think of fish and chips
I think of Sighn's Curry (in a hurry) House (they had THE BEST lamb curry!)
I remember the BBQ stands and how Don wouldn't eat at them but I would drive across town just for them)
I think of the color green - everything is green there all the time
I remember what the harbor looks like
I remember the last sunset I watched just a few days before I left and the brilliant neon green flash that shines just before the sun sinks below the horizon (you'll see it if you live on the west coast)
I remember the streets crowded mostly with taxi cabs
I think of playing rugby in Albert Park.
I remember the drive around Suva Point
I remember Deuba, Coral Coast Christian Camp, and the Beach.
I remember going back home after hours spent talking to Don about everything.

I remember a lot. It's funny how a bottle of lotion will do that for me. It's nostalgic. Most of all, it reminds me of all the good times there and not one of my memories is negative and I really like that. I can't wait to go back. Any takers on wanting to come with us???

No comments:

Post a Comment