Monday, January 25, 2010

Torn, Oh So Torn

I signed up for this. I fully admit this. But I'm nonetheless torn.

I decided on GRTS (Grand Rapids Theological Seminary: grts.cornerstone.edu) because I didn't have very many (only two) Bible/Theology classes in my undergrad (Dordt College: www.dordt.edu) and I felt that in working with people to the extent and intensity as you do in counseling, I would be best off getting my license from a godly institution.

Just over half way through my program, I constantly question that decision. Do I really want to endure (choosing that word over others) through my Bible and theology classes when I can skate by without them at another institution?

I enjoy them. Yes, I know, that statement sort of contradicts my previous one but I do. I learn a lot and they put so much life into Sunday Sermons (really!?!). And in doing the papers and readings (and somewhat the studying - cramming - for exams) I learn so much.

But I cannot stand sitting through them sometimes. And, being a counseling student, I don't see the practical use of it to the extent that the other (MDiv) students do. I'm thankful that in this seminary, the two are set side by side because Pastors definitely need the assets that the counseling major adds but I don't think that is reciprocated except by breadth and only to some extent depth. So I struggle in taking them.

I'm torn because I do see value in them as it helps me develop my own personal stance as a therapist and my own ethical conclusions. So I want to take them.

Could I just audit???

No comments:

Post a Comment